ONLINE 2 WEEK INTRO to FILM & TV Class with Devin Shacket - 2pm ET / 11am PT
Saturday, June 6, 2020, 2pm ET / 11am PT
This event is in the past.
The PERFECT online session for actors new to a career in FILM & TELEVISION!
This Intensive introduces you to some of the many challenges facing an actor (both established and novice) working in film and television today.
This course has been designed for actors from all training backgrounds, who have little to no experience on camera. This 2 week class will demystify the audition process and provide the necessary tools to confidently audition on-camera. During the sessions, each actor will work one-on-one with the instructor, which allows for illumination and reversal of acting habits as well as correction of inefficient preparation techniques. Additionally, this course will include an industry Q & A, which will answer any/all questions about entering into the film and television world as an actor.
This class will cover:
- Industry Q & A: An overview of the TV & Film acting business: agents/managers, headshots, marketing, training, the importance of networking. All the steps you can take today to begin pursuing your career!
- The nuts and bolts of on camera auditioning: quickly and effectively break down television and film sides, (both comedic and dramatic, co-star and guest star); working with a reader; the elements of a memorable on-camera audition; adapting existing acting skills to the medium of on-camera; making effective choices; finding vibrant physicality on screen; assembling wardrobe; understanding and taking direction; self taping; and entering/exiting a room. *Each actor will receive ample individual attention, and the instructor will meet each actor at their technical level.
Who Should Take This Class?
-Actors with little to no training or experience
- Actors who have been out of the industry/auditioning for a significant period of time
- Actors interested in making the leap from stage to screen
- Actors interested in transitioning from background to speaking parts
- Anyone curious about auditioning for film and television!
Our only requirements are curiosity, focus, respect for others, and a willingness to embrace new methodologies!
Professional casting credits include the second season of the award winning show House of Cards, alongside Emmy Award winning casting director, Julie Schubert. Additional casting credits include feature films (Good Funk, Black Nativity, Three Backyards), Webseries (Livin' the Dream), and theatre projects (SF Playhouse NYC Casting 2016-Present). Freelance casting work includes collaborations with casting directors Meredith Tucker, Laray Mayfield, Kevin Kuffa, Rori Bergman, Tracy 'Twinkie' Byrd, Bess Fifer, Beth Bowling, and Kim Miscia.
Students and private coaching clients have appeared on television shows such as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Iron Fist, Happy, Gotham, Switched at Birth, Tyrant, The Deuce, Jack Ryan, Sneaky Pete, Quantico, Infierno Verde, Jessica Jones, Blue Bloods, The Looming Tower, FBI, Dickinson, The Blacklist, The Godfather of Harlem, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and more. Plus, many clients appear on New York and regional theatre stages and in feature films.
Devin has been a guest lecturer at NYU Stonestreet School for Film and Television, SOCAPA, SF Playhouse, SF State University, Palm Beach Atlantic University, DBS Berlin Film School, and several private studios in New York City. Recent teaching appointments include adjunct faculty at NYU Tisch, and on-camera faculty at NYU's summer Commedia dell'Arte program in Florence, Italy, under Jim Calder. She maintains a private studio in New York.
Devin holds an M.A. in Dramatic Literature & Criticism from San Francisco State University and a B.A. in Journalism and Dramatic Literature from New York University. She completed the prestigious two-year Meisner training with Terry Knickerbocker in New York. She has studied acting with many master teachers, including Larry Moss, Patsy Rodenburg, Aitor Basauri, Johannes Schwaiger, Christopher Bayes, Phillippe Gaulier, Janet Zarish, and Bob Krakower; she has trained extensively with master teachers Olympia Dukakis, Jim Calder & Tessa Lang.
Passionate about actor training, in 2016, Devin founded The New York Drama Center. She currently serves as Artistic Director.
|Saturday, June 6, 2020||2:00 pm|
|Saturday, June 13, 2020||2:00 pm|
The following disclaimer is provided specifically at the request of and in accordance with SAG/AFTRA: Seminars or classes are for educational purposes only and will not secure or provide opportunity for employment in the field or representation by an agent or casting director.